Doors never get any credit these days. How often do you think about your doors? Actually, we think about doors every day, but that’s because at Door & Gate we’re door people.
We love doors. We want you to love doors too, or at least appreciate them. That’s why we created a list of 10 random and interesting facts about …you guessed it! Doors!
1. C.G Johnson invented the overhead door in 1921. Just 5 years later he created the first automatic garage door.
2. Many church doors are painted red, especially in Philadelphia. This is because of passover and it is a sign of sanctuary and safety.
3. Many doors in Ireland are very colorful. This is because when Queen Victoria died the Irish were ordered to paint their doors black as a sign of mourning. To rebel, they painted their doors in all different colors.
4. The most ancient doors known date back to ancient Egypt. Doors were simple then and were primarily a slab of wood with hinges.
5. The door symbolizes hope, opportunity, communication and liberation.
6. In a dream a door may represent a new opening in your waking life. A locked door could mean missed opportunities.
7. The band The Doors got their name from a book by Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception.
8. A false door is a door that leads to nowhere. In ancient Egypt these doors were known as the doors to the afterlife.
9. In ancient Rome it was common to put an image of a phallus over the front door for wealth, fertility and wellbeing.
10. In the art of Feng Shui, having an open, clean and clear pathway to the door is very important for the harmonious flow of energy.